obs and gyn
DEPARTMENT OF OBSTETRIC AND GYNECOLOGY
Head of Department: Dr. Jamillah Athumani
The Department has five sections, these are:-
- Obstetric unit
- Gynecological unit
- Labour unit
- Reproductive Health Clinic (RHC)
- cervical cancer
The department conducts all the Gynecological and obstetric cases. This includes delivery unit (Labor Ward), Obstetric,and Gynecology unit. The department also runs two outpatients clinics, i.e. the Reproductive Health Clinic (RHC) and cervical cancer clinic.
The department has got a total of 5 units
The unit has 8 beds, and admits mothers waiting for delivery or with pregnancy complications and post delivery.
It has bed capacity of 12 beds, receives all patients referred with gynecological problems.
It has 4 delivery rooms.
The Department has a total of 27 employees comprising of 1 specialist, 4 doctors and 22 other staffs.
The department believes that every human being is an individual with unique needs, and problems which must be addressed individually irrespective of race, age, educational status, religion, political or social status.
Objectives of the department
- To provide quality services to all patients admitted to the department and identify
- patients at high risk and act promptly.
- Prevent and manage obstetric complications so as to reduce maternal/neonatal morbidity and mortality rate.
- To provide practical oriented clinical teaching to students and staff as continuing
- To conduct evidence based clinical research.
In summary, the functions of the department:
- To provide effective, efficiency and high quality specialist Obstetric,and Gynecology services to patients
- To provide safe and high standard Obstetric,and Gynecology services
- To conduct on job training in various programs on safe, feasible and sustainable Obstetric,and Gynecology procedure
- To conduct quality operational and scientific research.
- Attending to all emergencies brought in
- Consultations to either referred or self-referred patients and to those coming for follow up.
- Interdepartmental consultations
- Teaching to medical students, nurse students and visiting foreign students
- To conduct out rich services within the region.
- To conduct coaching and mentor-ship to the lower level facilities so as to improve surgical services in the region.
Clinics in the Department
Reproductive Health Clinic (RHC)
Mondays to Fridays
cervical cancer clinic
Mondays to Fridays